Kew Gardens Treetop Walkway. We took a trip to the brand new £3 million Kew Gardens Treetop Walkway yesterday. It was pretty impressive too. You wander around the trees nearly 60 feet above the ground. Great view, but don’t look down and remember to smile gamely as the walkway sways ever so slightly in the wind. There’s also a Bluetooth game called TreeMate which you can play via your mobile phone, to get facts and photos on the trees you’re enjoying.
- The ‘rusty’ looking towers are deliberately given that effect to mimic tree trunks.
- The towers are built to flex slightly in the wind.
- You’re supposed to start the tour underground, in the ‘root’ system.
- They used sophisticated tech to avoid sinking pillars into the roots of trees.
- Designed by the same architects who created the London Eye.