I am going to start the review on this wireless speaker by going off on a tangent. I have a good friend who had a very famous pick-up line for meeting girls. He would walk up to them and smile and say, “Do you like to dance?” it rarely worked, but it was inoffensive enough that he never had a drink thrown in his face.
He was also a disc jockey (aka a “DJ”) at many of the college parties, but unfortunately he had a skill for playing terrible music. So we gave him the nickname, “DJ Party Killer” — which he found less than amusing. However, that story is a tangent to my tangent — if that is possible.
Why do I bring up my friend “DJ Party Killer?” The Yantouch Black Diamond 3 Wireless Speaker is EXACTLY the type of product that he would love. It wirelessly streams music from your Bluetooth enabled device and it offers plenty of *mood* lighting. Trust me, Barry Manilow and Clarence Carter can only be made better by the use of 16,000,000 different color patterns.
In addition to the sound performance and the light show this thing just looks cool. The speaker has a hard acrylic faceted surface that gives it a space age look. See my video below for a more detailed look.
- 5 Watts of power consumption for the combination of the music and the LED lights– this is loud enough to fill a room, but it is a long way from rattling windows.
- Two 1″ drivers and back firing bass port — although the bass response is still pretty poor. The overall sound is OK, but there are better sounding Bluetooth speakers available.
- 16,000,000 colors and/or color patterns –
- Beat matching color patterns — easily the best feature of the speaker, and the one that would endear it to my friend “DJ Party Killer”
- It does come with a *all-in-one* remote, which you absolutely will not want to lose. Without the remote control your Black Diamond 3 essentially becomes a paperweight.
- Bluetooth set-up is simple — to pare go to you Bluetooth settings on your device and then hold down the Bluetooth button on the remote for several seconds and *yantouch* should appear as an option. Select Yantouch, and you should be pared and ready to get your groove on.
- You need to be tethered to some sort of power source since this speaker is not rechargeable.
- The two side-firing speakers are in-laid into the device but are relatively exposed. Make sure that if you have small kids, or roommates that act like kids, that they do not touch the surface of the speaker.
Conclusion — The Black Diamond 3 is perfect for the dorm room or for anyone who wants to add a little mood to their music. Audiophiles will not be impressed with the lack of overall sound depth and volume, but for people like “DJ Party Killer” that is a very small price to pay for such a sensual device!
Available for $120 on Amazon.com