True story – for seven years I worked in the golf industry and watched as the industry’s main manufacturers continually created new products to help improve play. Most were marketed as the newest, latest, and greatest products that were designed to help you knock strokes off of your game. But the industry’s dirty little secret was that most of it really didn’t matter. The key improvement needed by most golfers is simply the development of muscle memory.
The GolfSense 3D Golf Swing Analyzer is a tool to help you to quickly analyze your swing from a variety of angles and data points. If you combine this gadget together with the practice range, video, and professional advice you can help to refine your stroke and develop your muscle memory. After you have mastered the concept of a consistent swing (good luck – it never happened for me) you can focus on the finer points of the game – areas where upgraded equipment (i.e. clubs) can help take you to the next level.
The GolfSense 3D swing Analyzer has another advantage – it is fun in a very geeky cool way. This is one of the few Bluetooth tools that both young and old will enjoy. There is just something very cool about watching your golf swing being mapped out on your iPad. Check out my video for a hands on look at how it works its magic.
- Works in conjunction with the GolfSense app for your iPad/iPhone/iPod. The app walks you through a very simple set-up procedure using your devices’ Bluetooth network.
- The GolfSense device fits underneath your golf glove and measures the angular velocity and movement of your hand during a golf swing (as you can see in the video).
- The device measures (and maps) your swings trajectory and speed for a variety of viewpoints. These can then be compared to your previous swings (which are stored on your device). This is an effective way to determine what you did *right* on the shot that went straight and 300 yards versus the one that went 15 yards and rolled into a pond. Quack!
- You can select the club that you are using (it is important to know the length of each of your clubs) which helps you make adjustments for club speed.
- One thing that can not be measured is the angle of your club face. This is key in determining if you are opening or closing the face of your club (and can be key in determining a slice or a hook). However, typically you can see if you face is open or closed based on the actual flight of your ball.
- The GolfSense device is fully rechargeable and come with a charging dock.
- The device is a bit of an iPad battery hog – I can’t say this scientifically, but it seemed like the battery life on my iPad was reduced by about 60% while I was using the GolfSense app.
Sold at Amazon.com and other online retailers for $109.99 to $129.99
The GolfSense 3D Golf Analyzer is relatively inexpensive and quick way to map your golf swing. While it may not be the only tool you need to improve your swing it certainly can help. I would recommend it for novices through advanced golfers as it will bring equal parts fun, amazement, and instruction.
4 1/2 Stars