Last week Google swooped in and bought yet another small company using it’s extremely large duffel bag of loose change and lunch vouchers. But this time, instead of immediately shutting down the product and re-deploying the engineers towards the rear of the Googleplex building, Google has done the unthinkable. It’s turned a great product into a free one.
Timely is a gorgeous alarm clock for Android, which features so much goodness it’s hard to type this out at all, what with all our hyperventilating an’ all. Actually calling Timely an alarm clock is rather like calling Britney Spears a taxi, so we’ll just get to some of the cool features in bullet form and you can pop off and install it immediately without thinking about it.
* Instant swipe alarm setting. Just swipe in from the left of the screen and drag a bar. This means you can set an alarm in less time than it takes to say ‘Wowee, Mr Ed’.
* The actual alarms melodies are awesome. No more jangly horrid bells, just cool soothing, yet wakeful tunes. Seriously, Meadow is like being woken with the kiss of an Angel in heaven.
* Smart Rise. Our personal favorite, this puppy makes sure the alarm wakes you up in a good mood, by using sleep-cycle theory to fade in the melody so gently your brain thinks it’s not happening. Until it does.
* Effective Dismissal. Worried that gentle alarms won’t be enough to wake you up? Then fret not, because in order to dismiss the alarm you’ll need to do some clever gesture work, which will ensure your brain has to start working properly. Devious.
* All your devices, phones, tablets and so on, are linked and synced, so you can set an alarm on your phone downstairs, and have it go off nicely on the tablet next to your bed. Cool, huh?
* There are cool slide and drag stopwatch and timer functions and a home screen clock widget included in the app, and they’re all super simple to use and manage.
Why are you still here reading? Go get it!