Think you’ve been hit by malware? Trojan, virus, spyware, keylogger? Following this action list posted by Max Wachtel on Google Groups a while back may just get you out of trouble. Full text past the jump…
1) Update Windows. Use a firewall.
Use an Anti-Virus of your choice and keep it updated.
In Windows Explorer, set Folder Options to “show all files”.
Clean out all temp, cache, ect. files.
Download BeClean here:
2) Download Sysclean from here:
Reboot into safe mode and run Sysclean, write down results, then reboot
If offending file is in “restore” read this:
3) Download AdAware from here:
Read the help files and then Update and run AdAware.
If you lose your Internet connection after running AdAware download
Winsock Fix here:
4) Download Spybot Search+Destroy here:
Update and run Spybot (enable all protection).
5) Download Spyware Blaster here: (enable all protection)
6) Run a couple of online scanners (pick a different one than your main AV):
* House Call:
7) If the previous do not solve your problems:
Download Bazooka here:
8) Download SwatIt here:
9) Download KL-Detector here
10) Download CWShredder here
11) Download HijackThis here:
Install, run and save the log that is created. Don’t let it fix anything yet!
You can find forums to post the log to have it analyzed here:
12) Download Stinger here:
13) Download eScan here:
Rename the downloaded file escan.zip and extract (with a zip program) to C:\Downloads, which you will have to create. Run the updater (kavupd.exe) and then run eScan (mwavscan.exe).
[Note that in this Google Groups case Spyware Doctor cured the person’s problem, so it may be worth keeping it on the shopping list just in case.]