Welcome to the new, fresher tasting, longer lasting, great value Ferret. Please update your bookmarks to reflect the new URL at www.redferret.net. There are quite a few changes under the hood as well as in design, so read on if you’re interested.
Thanks to the most excellent help of the Golden Code Guru Teli at buniek.com and the good folk at powervps.com we’ve now moved to a new hosting service, updated WordPress to 1.5, added a brand spanking new design theme and included some other cool stuff as well. Whew, that was a busy weekend. Please bear with us if anything breaks, because teething is not just for kids, you know!
* The From the Vaults image on the right of the page is now live, which means that you can actually visit our fascinating archive of stuff randomly on a whim.
* There are now two site theme designs to choose from. You’ll probably need cookies enabled if you want us to remember your desire though.
* The RSS feed now serves up images.
* The Ferret is going democratic. Anyone with a great product/post they want to share with Ferret readers, can simply register and publish the words themselves. The posts will have to be cleared through moderation by the Head Ferret so there’s no guarantee that they’ll reach the front page, but if they’re good enough…! And who knows, we may find some regular long term guest contributors from this, which would be great. Please don’t bother posting stuff that’s circulating widely on other major sites, the Ferret is very fussy about that and asked me to make that very clear!
* If you don’t fancy your hand at crafting your own post, use the sparkly new Submit a Tip form. Or just email me.
* The Archives now include a recent comments section if you want to check up on the latest chat quickly. Also the comments RSS link is useful for that.
* Each post now has a Related Posts section. I like this muchly.
* Each post now has an ’email this entry’ option to let you send it to your friends. Very private.
* I’m going to try over time to transition the site away from redferret.net to the more funky redferret.net address, so please update bookmarks, links and other stuff when you can.
That’s about it, although I’m sure there’s stuff I’ve forgotten. Let us know if you like it, think it needs tweaking or anything is broken. Have a nice day!