Mobile payment systems seem to be coming of age. Or maybe it’s just that when a market leader like Paypal launches something, the world takes notice? Whatever, there’s a few services around which look like they might be competing for space on your cell phone real soon now.
- Paypal Mobile – 600lb gorilla of online payment systems goes back to its roots and offers mobile phone access for pay and receive. Watch this space to judge how the market will develop.
- TextPayMe – Long standing mobile SMS payment system. US only, so a bit limited.
- MobileLime – Another US only service, offering only retail sale transactions, no person to person transfers which again is rather limiting.
- BillMyCell – kludgy and amateur looking service. Unsurprisingly low on the market radar.
- LUUP – Interesting name, European only at the moment (Germany, Norway and UK), retail payment and person to person. Norwegian company. One to watch?