Ladies and gentlemen, in the blue corner the world famous iPhone, iconic symbol of democracy and the new millennium. And in the red corner, China. Yep, 1.3 billion souls beavering away in factories to destroy civilisation as we know it and trash our treasured way of life. OK, enough already. So I thought it would be interesting to check out a sample of five iPhone clones to see whether they are worth your time, money and pocket space. The results were unsurprising in some ways and rather interesting in others…
Desay A8+ – £104.95. Nice box, shame about the buttons…
· Dual Band GSM 900/1800, Sim free, Unlocked for UK, Europe and Australia
· 3.2 Inch 16:9 TFT Screen (320×240 resolution)
· Supports Smart Map (User Uploadable)
· Dual Sim card slots (Only 1 sim is active at any time)
· High Sensitive Touch Screen
· MP3 Music Player: Play your favorite MP3 music anywhere anytime
· MP4 Movie Player: Play Stereo 3GP/MP4 Movies
· WAP/GPRS/MMS/SMS Enabled (surf the internet via GPRS)
· 0.3MP Camera + PC WebCam + Video Recording (Camcorder) with sound
· Digital Voice Recorder
· 4 In built Games
· Handwriting Recognition
What do you get? 2 x 1000 mAh batteries and 2 x SIM card slots. 90 page Chinese manual, USB charging and headphone socket in one, separate lock button.
In Use. Not the most sophisticated of the clones, but then again at this price what do you expect? The UI throws up fake Windows Mobile operating system splash screen for some reason, and although it’s got pretty icons it’s not really iPhone comparable at all. For example press the green call button and you get the call history instead of being able to make a call. And don’t even think of trying to use this to access voice prompt services, as I couldn’t resurrect the touch keypad during a call at all. Good voice quality and loudspeaker quality though. The 0.3 megapixel camera is dire.
Conclusion. Not really a prime time contender, more like a garage sale knock off. And who speaks Chinese around here anyway…?
iPhone Cred Score – 3/10
Next – how not to treat your handset interface…